cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbminting
Contributor

If you get registered with the post office you can get a number called an MID or mailer ID.

It's something that you should be able to have in encoded in the tick marks on first class letters and flats. It allows people to see where they are in the post office system without having first class tracking.

For those who ship a lot of letters and flats, allowing us to use our own MID's instead of stamps.com's would allow us to provide better service to our customers.

11 Comments
AdisL
New Contributor

Hey dbminting,

So, we recently got those MID's and CRID's for our two additional locations we plan to ship from. I was wondering if these ID's need to be added somewhere in Shipstation in order to get the USPS discounts? I have been told by our USPS rep they are tied to our discounts. Thanks!

dbminting
Contributor

That's what I'm talking about, it's something that they should allow as a feature but don't.

AdisL
New Contributor

Agree! Thanks!

Byungsel
First-timer

This would be a great feature to be added.

In order to offer tracking service to my customers, I am currently using USPS first-class package service even for small and light items that can fit in a letter envelope. I would be able to save about $3 or more per order if I could use first-class mail letter service instead. This could be a game changer for low-priced items. I noticed that eBay and Etsy are offering this feature already if the labels are purchased through their website. ShipStation, please add this feature.

mcconnon12
Occasional Contributor

Does shipstation add the IMb barcode currently?

exoticp
Occasional Contributor

mcconnon12 Yes, they do. Which is why it is so massively frustrating that NO mainstream shipping service provider does anything useful with this system. Frankly, the USPS should just integrate these numbers into their normal tracking number system. They're scanning all these letters/flats all the time, generating this data, and then not allowing anybody to see it without jumping crazy hoops, designing custom software, etc... And to top it all off none of the service providers have the sense to add a tracking feature for their customers which would be massively valuable to them. I think Pitney Bowes has some level of support for this stuff, but I don't think they have a custom facing tracking page, more like you as the shipper can see stuff in the background... But I reached out to them to see.

I'm probably going to make a separate post about this shortly... Found this old one because I wanted to see if anybody had actually answered my questions in an old post first.

mcconnon12
Occasional Contributor

@exoticp that's crazy they incorporate it and there's no tracking available.

Is there a way to track it manually by yourself? I'm searching now...

If I find out anything I will definitely post back to you.

mcconnon12
Occasional Contributor

@exoticp thanks for sharing...

Crazy how they don't some tracking to it. Talk about an easy win for their business... It would give them a leg up on the competition and make their customers happy.

Have you found any external source for tracking?

I'm going to do some research... If I find anything I'll re-route.

Thanks.

mcconnon12
Occasional Contributor

Dear Shipstation... You removed my reply for no reason.

Not a good look. You want to have a community but be a tyrant when members are bringing shipping needs to your attention. 

The act of you removing my post has me searching for other providers. Tap yourself on the back... job well done.

Please have a manager get in touch with me immediately.

Hey there @mcconnon12

There was an automatic filter that captured your first comments for a moment. So sorry about that! We definitely want you all to be able to post and comment as needed. 

They have certainly been reviewed and approved! Sorry for any confusion that may have caused.