cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SydSegal
Occasional Contributor
I use Shopify to gather my website orders. From there they are imported into various stores set up in ShipStation. Why can't ShipStation update an order that has been altered in Shopify? For example, lets say an order is imported into ShipStation from Shopify. I realize that the order is missing an item which I then have to refund back to the customer. I do the refund in Shopify, but when I re-import orders from Shopify back into ShipStation, the order still shows the full list of items in the "Order Items" list... the refunded item(s) are still present. It seems like the software should be able to communicate the change in the order and update it accordingly... it does just that when "canceling" an order in Shopify, doesn't make sense why the API can't recognize the drop in item (or items) after the refund and adjust the order itself in ShipStation. Thanks
21 Comments
info543
First-timer (legacy)
When I cancel orders in shopify, they never disappear from shipstation. How did you get that functionality?
kristine2
First-timer (legacy)
I will post to this idea, since my issue is related, but I will also post it separately. After a lengthy e-mail discussion (Support ticket #860832) with both Shopify and Shipstation representatives, it appears the functionality to import partially refunded orders from Shopify is a bit faulty. A customer case follows: Jane orders 2 hats and 1 shirt from ABC Shopify Store and payment is cleared. She then e-mails ABC Shopify store and indicates that she made a mistake and only wants 1 hat and 1 shirt. ABC Shopify store processes a partial refund for the undesired item and the Shopify order history reflects the change. ABC Shopify Store then imports the order to be fulfilled and Jane's order is now in the Shipstation queue. However, the order that arrives in the Shipstation queue shows Jane's original order of 2 hats and 1 shirt and a full payment for 3 items instead of the updated order for 1 hat and 1 shirt and a reduced payment. The change made to the order in ABC Shopify Store that indicates the reduction in hats and the reduction in payment fees is not indicated. I was told by both Shopify and Shipstation reps that both systems are functioning correctly - meaning that when orders are imported, any products that are marked as "Requires shipping" in Shopify are imported into Shipstation, in their "full/original" quantity and ignoring the partial refund. This one trigger - “Requires Shipping” - in Shopify is what determines what items are imported into Shipstation associated with a particular order. Back to the case study – Jane receives her order, but the packing slip generated by Shipstation shows her original order not the adjusted order and she is now confused and has to go back to her order history at ABC Shopify Store to see what she actually ordered. A customer does not want to see the original order still showing on a packing slip. They want to see the correction/partial refund. The packing slip (and any other associated forms) generated by Shipstation should reflect the same information (items, quantities, payment made) in their final Shopify order. Three major issues are cause by this: 1 – Loss of inventory because too much inventory is shipped based on Shipstation's calculations. 2 – Customs valuations for shipments sent around the world are overvalued and overcharged associated customs fees. 3 – Lost postage fees because too much weight is applied to the order since there are more items than indicated by the partially refunded order. As a current workaround - I have to use the "Notes" feature within Shopify to notate if there is a partial refund and which items to remove and update in Shipstation MANUALLY the quantity, weight and amount paid of an order. If I did not use the notes, I would be losing inventory and postage fees because I send out more than customers request. Also, I ship around the world, and partial refunds are crucial to get correct for calculation of customs fees. Again, I have to use the “Notes” feature in Shopify to remind myself to manually update an order's customs valuation. If an order is partially refunded, the value of the order should be reduced accordingly and reflected in the customs valuation, so that international customers are not overcharged customs fees. Another side issue is the true unprofessionalism of the packing slips/shipping confirmation e-mails not reflecting the orders correctly. The following screen shots are an indication of how partial refunds are reflected in Shopify and Shipstation currently: https://screenshot.click/16-36-59875-32460.png https://screenshot.click/16-36-65968-15543.png https://screenshot.click/16-37-89408-75169.png https://screenshot.click/16-37-80064-93293.png https://screenshot.click/16-38-89043-19644.png https://screenshot.click/16-38-21185-58206.png I would greatly appreciate a review of how orders are imported from Shopify into Shipstation. Partial refunds need to be reflected appropriately from both the seller and customer perspective.
jeremy12
First-timer (legacy)
Please please! We manage dozens of Shopify stores and finally tracked down why our inventory was off. We were shipping all refunded orders and/or orders where a product was Removed/Refunded in an order with multiple items. Shipstation updates addresses, and we didn't realize it didn't remove "Removed" products. And our clients didn't tell us each time they edited products in an order. Therefore, we shipped all "Removed" items in Shopify through Shipstation. This caused many fulfillment errors on our end and threw physical inventory off because the Removed item in Shopify was restocked, but the item was actually Shipped through Shipstation. Please help us out!!!!
mark24
First-timer (legacy)
Shopify has launched the ability to edit order: "After an order is paid, you can edit it by adding items, removing items, and adjusting item quantities." To make use of this feature, it needs to sync with ShipStation. https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/edit-orders
contact41
First-timer (legacy)
****Please please please update shopify integration 🙂 ***** When an order is edited within Shopify admin (they recently added this feature), the order/shipment should be properly updated in shipstation to reflect the changes. For example, if a customer wants to change or remove products in an order that hasn't been shipped yet, you can edit the order in Shopify. But when updated, shipstation does pull in the new products that are added to order, but does not remove the products that were deleted from order. So currently you have to manually go into shipstation, split the order, and then delete the order that contains the products that were removed. Very cumbersome and unnecessary and will likely lead to mistakenly shipping extra product to customer that was not paid for. When an order is edited in Shopify, it should be seamlessly updated in shipstation. This would be insanely useful, and obvious from user point of view 😉
arizona
First-timer (legacy)
Hello, ] ]In Shopify we can edit an order but it doesn't reflect in shipstation. They gave us a link to9 give to you developer. We make a lot of switches and need this to be fixed if possible. Thank you! https://shopify.dev/tutorials/edit-an-existing-order-with-admin-api
chris37
First-timer (legacy)
When we have single orders fulfilled by multiple vendors, some offsite. When an order is being fulfilled onsite via shipstation and there's another vendor fulfilling an order that will be updated from shopify, shipstation never accurately updates the remaining part of the order. This causes us to have to go back through all the shipped orders and manually update shipstation to clear the queue. PLEASE MAKE THE SOFTWARE UPDATE ACCURATELY FROM SHOPIFY
pgreer
First-timer (legacy)
Good Question. I need to know this too. I had a customer substitute on item and we had to "refund/return on item in Shopify but the old item is still showing up. All I can do is mark out the old item with a marker and that looks unprofessional plus the sales numbers will also be off in Shipstation because it's not removing the returned item.
butch
First-timer (legacy)
How will Shipstation (Verfsion 3) know how to identify the split orders from 2 different vendors with the same order number? I get an order, Order 100. The order has 2 items. One item from Vendor A and one item from Vendor B. I send PO's to Vendor A and Vendor B. They both ship and I get tracking which I bulk upload into Shipstation. How will Shipstation know how to match up the tracking with the items? In the old version (layout) of Shipstation, when I split an order the second order was given order number with a -1 after it. So Order 100 showed as Order 100 and Order 100-1. When the bulk upload of tracking was done it recognized the tracking.
zach
First-timer (legacy)
We are implementing this in-house for our account out of necessity. Without this, we are going to have 1000+ new orders per week in "Awaiting Shipment" that are actually fulfilled. Doing this many splits / partial fulfillments is core to our process; I don't know why this quirk never came up in our sales calls, despite us repeatedly discussing order splitting in detail. I would vote on this 100 times if I could, as our in-house solution is going to be permanently hamstrung by the API's inability to partially fulfill orders. @Butch: orders are keyed uniquely via several identifiers on the back-end. Every order entry has a salesOrderId, an orderKey, and an orderId. These values are unique platform-wide. Line items (typically) also have something like a line item ID, something that uniquely identifies what the product is and* what order it belongs to. Most selling platforms implement some kind of line item ID, and this is how Shipstation would make that match.