cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greg23
First-timer (legacy)
BILLING/SHIPPING ADDRESS MISMATCH NOTIFICATION Fraud Prevention Idea One of the biggest red flags in a fraudulent transaction with a stolen credit card is that the Billing Address and Shipping Address DO NOT MATCH. I believe ShipStation should have a literal RED FLAG column in the orders screen that shows a RED FLAG when there is a mismatch between the billing address and shipping address. This way we can go in and look at the order in more detail to see if there is further indication a stolen credit card was used. This would save us LOTS of money. For example, in the last 2 weeks alone I got hit with $1000 in stolen card charges.
19 Comments
support243
First-timer (legacy)
I'd like to see the billing address on the packing slip. What we do is a fraud check - if billing and shipping address are different, we investigate the transaction before shipping out. It's easiest to see this on the packing slips as we print them.
mohndushy
First-timer (legacy)
Every online business is a target of fraudulent transactions. It will be great if the shipper can make the call if this is a High risk transaction or not on SS based if Shipping and Billing match or not. SS is already receiving the Billing and Shipping address. All what we need is "Y" for match and "N" for no match
steve68
First-timer (legacy)
I saw that ShipStation has a buyer name field. While that isn't always going to be sufficient information, maybe for now we could create an automation rule that specifies: If buyer name does not equal ship to name then mark as something... Shipstation - is this something we can do already? Doesn't appear to be possible with current automation functionality.
sales412
First-timer (legacy)
With all the customers processed through Shipstation, some type of Fraud detection would be nice. Also like an option to "Flag" or "Hightlight" express orders
kevin_uyeda
First-timer (legacy)
Couldn't agree more with the rest of the suggestions for a simple red flag or Y/N option.
wayne3
First-timer (legacy)
I personally do not care if the billing and shipping do not match. If you limited your shopping cart to killing any order with this situation you would be passing up a lot of real business. It is easy enough to set this rule with most credit card processors, though I do not suggest it! With so many people using Shipstation, it would be great if you offered a shipping address blacklist that could alert my staff that we may be shipping an order to a known or suspected scammer address, a Shipping Blacklist. We run very tight controls on our credit cards, yet we still occasionally catch a fraudulent order (or several at a time) come through. Often times the addresses used for shipping have been identified by other businesses as known problems for fraudulent orders. It would be great as a Shipstation user that I could flag a fraudulent shipment and share that address with other Shipstation users. It would set Shipstation apart from the competition and save your users a lot of money. The Blacklist could work very much like it does for emails. One complaint on an address would not be enough to do anything, but multiple different users flagging the same address should then generate a warning flag during the address verification process. Our most recent attempted fraud was to a New Jersey freight forwarder that specializes in Russian and Ukrainian packages. The total of 3 orders was a little over $1200, luckily we caught it in time. The web is full of people warning not to ship to this New Jersey address without confirmation that you are dealing with real credit card owners. Perhaps there is already a shipping blacklist maintained on the net that you can take advantage of and help contribute to? Doing more research on this, you can use Delivery Point Validation to detect if an address is a Commercial Mail Receiving Agency (a "mail drop" that rents mail boxes), or if an address is vacant. http://semaphorecorp.com/cgi/dpv.html This should be very easy for Shipstation to add to the basic address verification look ups you are already doing. Simply flagging these for us would probably cut down a huge amount of the fraud we see.
wayne3
First-timer (legacy)
Any progress on this? I just got hit with a new scammer. They were using a new address for a freight forwarder for the Ukrain. In case it helps any, here is the address: 460 COPPER DR NEWPORT, DE 19804-9004 US It is a new warehouse for Meest.us they are used for a lot of freight farwarding for credit card fraud orders. I should point out that we have Authorize.net darn near maxed out for security seetings, only one left being the ship and bill address have to be the same. If I do that it will kill many gift cards on our site. Address verification could do the brunt of this work, and save your customers a ton of money! We need anti-fraud tools added to shipstation.
Bobby_M
Contributor
Please consider showing the buyer's city, state and zip on the order screen to help us catch fraud better.
normhacker
New Contributor
The ShipStation Order Filters could be useful if it was possible to at least create a filter that flagged: Buyer Name does not equal Recipient Name However whilst SS offers both fields, they don't allow them to be checked against one another. Whilst not a perfect solution, it could be an easy flag to at least then check the rest of the order.
Bobby_M
Contributor
Ok guys, this suggestion is now over 4 years old and 66 votes. I touched base with support again today because every year we approach the holidays we incur a lot more losses to credit card fraud. We MUST be able to flag orders that import with different billing and shipping addresses as it is the most common indicator that a fraud is occurring. That is, ALL frauds have different billing and shipping addresses (not the other way around). What hurts the most is that I confirmed that you are in fact importing the billing address data from Volusion but not allowing it to be processed on. You've been pushing V3 down our throats for a year now and you couldn't add this function to it? Will be looking elsewhere for a shipping solution as we're losing thousands of dollars to fraud.