cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yarnship
New Contributor

It would be great to be able to build a link from our CRM to an order in ShipStation.
Each order already appears to have a url, of approximately this format:

https://ship5.shipstation.com/orders/awaiting-shipment/order/xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx/active/orderId

Since we know the orderId, and the order status, we just need to be able to get or calculate the 'xxx' part. Any chance of getting this or has anyone already figured it out?

5 Comments
yarnship
New Contributor

It looks like that part of the url is a UUID/GUID, or a unique ID. It would solve things and enable building the URL in our CRM if that information was returned in the response to an API call to create or update an order.

rich2
Occasional Contributor

Related to that - allow us to use the OrderID in the search.

With ebay orders (the legacy ones at least) being duplicated across multiple ebay stores, we are hitting ShipStation's system harder than needed, as it searches and returns multiple order records.

The OrderID is wonderful in our ERP system and on our packing slips. Why do you shy away from it on the ShipStation website?

derekmartin
New Contributor

>>Why do you shy away from it on the ShipStation website?

If you're trying to link from another app to a particular Order in Shipstation, you probably don't have the Shipstation ID stored in that other app, but you would have the Order ID from your web store.

The reason Shipstation probably isn't just using Order ID in the URL is that my company and your company both use Shipstation, and we probably both have a shipment with Order ID = 10. Whose would it open, yours or mine? Shipstation either needs something unique to each company in the URL, or it needs to make and use its own globally unique identifier, and put that in the URL. They chose to do the latter.

rich2
Occasional Contributor

Hey Derek

The Order ID in ShipStation is already unique to each ShipStation account.

you probably don't have the Shipstation ID stored in that other app

We absolutely do, which is why the suggestion was made. This is an advanced topic for people who utilize the ShipStation API. The OrderID is the foundation of almost anything you would build.

The reason Shipstation probably isn't just using Order ID in the URL is that my company and your company both use Shipstation, and we probably both have a shipment with Order ID = 10

No, not if you are using ShipStation's API to fetch orders. They are unique, and there are no collisions.

If you have software external to ShipStation that considers other data, such as an order number, an "OrderID" in it's nomenclature, well that is outside the scope of this feature request. That is a problem on the end of whomever is trying to implement generating URLs. They would need to come up with their own abstraction that fetches what ShipStation considers an OrderID, then generate a URL off of that.

You are definitely on the right track for wanting to avoid collisions, but this is a few steps above that.

derekmartin
New Contributor

I actually misread the question. I've been doing web dev full-time for 23 years. I'm just new to logistics. Whoops!