cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when trying to purchase labels through UPS - 'Misssing or invalid ship from StateProvinceCode

Cheiro
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, I am new to SS and have honestly found the setup process very confusing and painstaking. Any videos I have found don't go into enough detail or seem to be based on older versions of Shopify. Anyhow, I have FINALLY got there, I believe and have attempted to send a parcel via UPS (I have integrated my UPS account successfully.) However, when I click 'create and print label' I get this error message: https://prnt.sc/12fimm5

I have checked and double-checked, and I have completed all the address details requested of me! Any help appreciated!

Also, I had a general question about integration with Shopify - I was led to believe that live shipping options fro SS now appear at the checkout stage within Shopify, so customers can choose the option they like and pay the correct amount. However, despite integrating with Shopify, I am still seeing all the old shipping options at the checkout. Am I missing something here?!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SuperMgr-Sarah
Employee
Employee

Hello!

For shipments from the UK, UPS wants the 2-digit state code instead of the name of the city or province. Here is a list of all 2-digit code for for UK states/provinces that you can refer to. Make sure our Ship From Locations use these 2-digit codes in the State field and that should resolve your issue.

I can also answer your Shopify question - currently, ShipStation has a feature in beta that does send rates to Shopify so customers can see them in checkout. However, this beta is only available for US-based ShipStation accounts. We do plan to roll this out for users in all countries sometime in the future, but it's not currently available outside of the United States. 

One possible solution, though, could be to use ShipperHQ to configure your checkout delivery options. ShipperHQ can be connected to Shopify to show the delivery options you configure in ShipperHQ. We also just released a ShipperHQ integration with ShipStation that then allows you to import those delivery option details with your Shopify orders. You can review our ShipperHQ integration article for more details. 

Sarah H.
Austin, Tx

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

SuperMgr-Sarah
Employee
Employee

Hello!

For shipments from the UK, UPS wants the 2-digit state code instead of the name of the city or province. Here is a list of all 2-digit code for for UK states/provinces that you can refer to. Make sure our Ship From Locations use these 2-digit codes in the State field and that should resolve your issue.

I can also answer your Shopify question - currently, ShipStation has a feature in beta that does send rates to Shopify so customers can see them in checkout. However, this beta is only available for US-based ShipStation accounts. We do plan to roll this out for users in all countries sometime in the future, but it's not currently available outside of the United States. 

One possible solution, though, could be to use ShipperHQ to configure your checkout delivery options. ShipperHQ can be connected to Shopify to show the delivery options you configure in ShipperHQ. We also just released a ShipperHQ integration with ShipStation that then allows you to import those delivery option details with your Shopify orders. You can review our ShipperHQ integration article for more details. 

Sarah H.
Austin, Tx

Cheiro
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sarah, that finally worked - thank you!

I'm slightly frustrated that the total shipping cost was shown as £21 in SS, and then once I selected to print the label, I was notified of a £37 charge! Any Idea why this could be?

Many thanks, Leighton 

Hello!

Glad you were able to get a label printed. Was it updating the 2-digit code in the ShipStation Ship From Location settings that did it? In case anyone else gets the same error I wanted to make sure the solution was clear. 

As for the shipping cost - I did a few tests using UPS Express from London to the US and it looks like selecting the "Bill duties and taxes to the payor of shipping charges" option is the most likely reason. The data we receive from the carrier when we request just the rate (we call it the getRate call) does not include duties and taxes. But, it looks like the carrier fee that gets returned with the label data does include the duties and taxes (this might not be the case for all carriers - it's dependent on how the carrier built their label API - but typically the rates API and label API are different). 

I hope that helps!

Sarah H.
Austin, Tx

Cheiro
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sarah - yes indeed, it was updating the 'state' field in the ShipStation 'ship from' section, with the relevant code from your list which fixed it!

In terms of the increased UPS fee - that does make sense. It's confusing though as at no point does it prepare you for the increased payment, until the order is processed and you see that you've been charged! There should almost be a 'review' screen that highlights the fact beforehand.

In any case - thank you for all your help here - much appreciated!

Leighton, Bristol UK

Thanks for confirming. And that is good feedback - it is definitely not clear from just looking at the interface that additional charges may occur when selecting the "bill duties" option. I will give this feedback to our product team. It could be a good opportunity to add a "tool tip" into the app (in case you aren't familiar, a tool tip appears as a small icon next to an element and when you hover your cursor over it, some explanatory text appears to give more context). 

Sarah H.
Austin, Tx

tntp
First-timer

Hi! where do I put the stateprovincecode when I'm shipping to italy and where do i find those codes?

Hello!

Looks like there is a list of postal codes that include the 2-digit province code in Wikipedia!

When I checked the address format for Italy it looks like they do Postal Code + City + Province Code. I did a quick test with an Italian address to confirm how that looks in ShipStation. It looks like the province name (or city name) should be entered in the City field and you can enter the 2-digit province code in the State field.

Since Italy is included on the list of countries that can use address validation and address correction, the address auto-corrected to put the Region in the State field. 

SuperMgrSarah_0-1634233877116.png

Just as a test, I turned auto-correct off and re-entered the 2-digit province code in the State field and saved. The address remained verified and it retained the 2-digit code.

SuperMgrSarah_1-1634233966570.png

So either scenario should work when shipping to Italy. Though you may want to check with your carrier to see if one or the other is preferred.

Sarah H.
Austin, Tx

I am trying to ship my stuff from a supplier located in Kathmandu. I am getting the same error message, Not valid state.  Can I use my US account to import items from Asian countries like Nepal or India?