cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
DP
Occasional Contributor

I am told by chat agents that this is a new feature of V3, I would really love to know whose bright idea this was and what the thought process behind it was.

When using a handheld scanner operating in Scan To Print mode, the process used to be as follows:

1. Pick up scanner, scan barcode on order. Order populates on screen.

2. Scan the Print barcode to quick ship and print a label. Or press P on the keyboard and get the same result.

In the new version, chat agent explained to me that in Scan To Print mode you must click outside the search box (where the order number gets input either manually or by scanning the barcode on the order) and THEN scan the Print barcode or press P.

So now the workflow looks like this instead:

2. Set scanner down, locate mouse.

3. Navigate mouse and click outside search bar.

4. Put mouse down and Pick scanner back up

5. Scan barcode or press P to print label. 

I realize this may seem like a small thing but in high volume environments with tight deadlines, every second and movement counts. It also opens the door for more mistakes. I am baffled by what the reasoning behind this change may have been, I can't see any benefit to it at all. You know the old saying- if it ain't broke don't fix it.

5 Comments
500level
First-timer

No idea why they adjusted this...we would love for this option to be changed back to the way it was...

2. Scan the Print barcode to quick ship and print a label. Or press P on the keyboard and get the same result.

jchin1234
Contributor

I don't use the scanning function, but from a brief glance you should be able to just tab out of that field. At least this way you don't have to move the mouse, but you'd still have to locate your Tab key. So from the way you describe it: Scan order > Tab > Scan next > Print.

DP
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @jchin1234 

I'll look into that, I still wish I knew what the thought process behind the change was since it doesn't appear to positively affect anything. 

Status changed to: Resolved

SMP
Occasional Contributor

We also have this issue. It makes "scan to print" useless for us as if you need to press tab or click on the screen you have to be at the computer anyway and could press p. 

The workflow would be much better if you could just scan the packing slip and scan the p and the warehouse staff don't have to leave their station and go to the computer