cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike87
First-timer (legacy)
Would be nice to be able to set the package for an order without having to also set the service. Service has already been selected by our website customer and imported into ShipStation so there is no need to change it. You can already set dimensions in a rule so why not package?
11 Comments
mike87
First-timer (legacy)
Thanks for the reply. I was recently made aware of Service Mappings and they work great for setting the service. Package wise, however, we have about 50 different boxes/bags/envelopes we use. It's impossible to match a package with a service. What I had to do instead was select the default "Package" package type with every service. That's not optimal because now we lose the ability to accurately track our box inventory since everything now is just set to "package". I just don't understand why these two options have to go together. It might work for stores that only carry a couple products but doesn't work for our store that carries almost 10,000 skus.
feedback
First-timer (legacy)
Thanks for the update! So you're primarily concerned with tracking packages, that's good to know. Are there any other business challenges you're looking to solve here by setting package types separate from shipping services?
joe32
First-timer (legacy)
I have many situations where my Requested Service(Mapped) is set accurately when my Orders are pushed into Shipstation, but then I need to run an Automation Rule to determine which Package Type should be used for that Order. I recognize that certain Package Types are dependent on the Carrier value; however I only use custom built "Your Packaging" options which exist independently of any Carrier. It would seem a solution could be crafted which would allow these custom packaging options to be set via Automation Rule and allow the Requested Service to be kept as it was originally mapped when the order was pushed into SS. I think I could cut the number of Automation Rules I have by 60% if this was possible. Thanks!
mshuwaks
First-timer (legacy)
Why is this closed
mshuwaks
First-timer (legacy)
this will help us alot
lucast
First-timer (legacy)
For us, it would be really helpful so that shippers don't have to guess which way something should be packaged. Right now, "package" and is the only option for DHL. Not very helpful for a shipper wondering if the product should be put in a poly, a bubble, or a box.
lucast
First-timer (legacy)
david62
First-timer (legacy)
Agreed, this would be incredibly helpful. We use the same set of packages across shipping services, so the service is not in any way tied to the package choice. Alternately, and perhaps better, would be to "memorize" the package used with a set of items and then default to that packaging the next time that item set is ordered. In many ways, this would be ideal as human intelligence is used to choose the right package the first time, but no thought is needed subsequently.
connor3
First-timer (legacy)
Completely support this idea! We are in serious and urgent need of this feature. We hope ShipStation can create this feature as soon as possible. It's not flexible when we have to put Service in order to put Package type.
ali3
First-timer (legacy)
This feature is so important to our business! Right now, we're going to have to set up over 140 automations in order to account for the lack of a "set package type" rule. To clarify the request: Currently, automations only allow users to set up package/carrier combination. But as others have explained, customers have multiple choices for shipping methods. So just because a customer has ordered a certain configuration of products, that fits in a certain box type, it doesn't always mean it's going to ship UPS Ground, for example. If you could create an action for "set package type" it would solve this problem. We currently have "set package dimensions" and "set total order weight" as the action to our rules... but then when we try to process our labels, we receive alerts because the package type is blank. We then need to manually select "package type" from the drop down of every single order. Not ideal. I've chatted in multiple times to see if there's a way around this that I'm not seeing, but everyone has unfortunately said we're in a jam, and only this request forum can help. Please advise on the status of this.