cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Customs Declarations - Customers Overpaying Duties

sean_IAWW
First-timer

The limited amount of options for "contents" has become an issue. Our company is shipping artwork internationally and we're unable to declare as such. Shipments default to "Merchandise" which falls into a more costly import tax rate and results in our customers overpaying on duties. Artwork generally receives the standard VAT of around 5%.

The current options are Merchandise, Documents, Gift, Returned Goods, or Sample. In the International Settings menu I was able to add a description, value, harmonized code, etc, but shipments still default to "Merchandise". This results in 20% (and higher) duties required by our customers to receive their goods. This becomes a major issue with high value shipments and we have been dealing with very unhappy customers. 

We need to be able to specify contents in greater detail in order to avoid these issues.

2 REPLIES 2

Hey there @sean_IAWW

I can absolutely see why an expansion of those customs declarations would be desirable! I'll move this over to our ideas section so that others can vote on your post to show support! 

From Moderator Davis, May the force be with you!

jescor
New Contributor

and which to choose when this is a Replacement order??

the buyer already paid their VAT/tax on their original order. one of the items became defective.

We are shipping another to them at no cost.

t