cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josh_trampoline
First-timer (legacy)
Automated Rule for comparing 2 or more shipping options and choosing least expensive. We ship using FedEx, UPS, and USPS. It would save us a huge amount of time and money each year if each order would automatically pick the cheapest shipping option between selected carriers. For example: 1. Order # 1234567 for a "blue widget" gets imported into SS with dimensions 8" X 6" X 4" and weighs 11lbs 2. Automated Rule checks price for FedEx Home Delivery, UPS Ground, and USPS Priority mail Package. 3. FedEx: $12, UPS $12.50, USPS $11.50 4. Order # 1234567 automatically gets assigned to USPS Priority Mail Package since it's cheapest. This information already exists in SS, but it requires manually changing between each shipping service. This is impractical especially when a business ships thousands of order per month. Thanks!
6 Comments
george5
First-timer (legacy)
I know that Shipstation mentioned previously that Shipping carriers prohibit rate comparisons. What about a comparison of services within the same carrier? meaning that when I look at FedEx, I should be able to see all available FedEx services & prices, and when I switch to other carriers I should be able to compare their services & prices as well This is something that is available on eBay (eBay allows you to compare all USPS or all FedEx services), so it should be allowed by carriers.
asad
First-timer (legacy)
There should be an automation rule that works after the order is Imported. Once its Imported and the rate is checked, there should be a rule that if the rate crosses X amount of dollars it switches the carrier. For Example, We are located in CT and ship all over the country. If we get an order for one item that is 46 Lbs and ships to NY, we use FedEx, for example, the cost is $14. If we get the same order from California, FedEx Cost is $30... So we need to manually switch to USPS Flat Rate Box which the cost would be $17. Try explaining this to employees and hoping they remember!
Status changed to: Started
SuperMgr-Sarah
Employee
Employee

ShipStation is currently working on a method to allow you to group services together that you'd like to compare and automate the selection of the cheapest service from that group. There may be an opportunity to be involved in a test group for this in early 2022. 

If you are interested in participating, please say so in the replies!

purchasing9
First-timer

I spend a considerable amount of time putting all the rates by zones into a big spread sheet and manually  comparing rates by zone to set up automation rules.  

However the only real way to do that is to go by shipping zone -  and the zones for USPS FEDEX, UPS are not the same.  They are not really even similar anymore.   

So what has worked well in the past - needs to be looked at again.  

It's a pain and very time consuming to manually go through all the rates - especially since my DHL e-commerce rates do not show up in shipstation.   It would be good if I could somehow manually enter them in so it will do a rate that I can see.  The way I dont have to look at a printed rate chart and click on individual carriers within shipstation 

Pain in the butt -  today using USPS zones i looked and a zone 1 1 lb  was ending up being a different zone in UPS - actually a $4.00 increase in price.   which is a lot 

so the only way to do a real comparison is to do it manually. There should be automation for this.

so if ShipStation is currently working on a method to allow you to group services together that you'd like to compare and automate the selection of the cheapest service from that group. There may be an opportunity to be involved in a test group for this in early 2022.  -  im interested

ToolUSA
New Contributor

Dear Support/Sarah,

Yes, we would be very much interested in having our shipping rates auto selected to lowest price/price comparison display for each order we ship.

This will be a very nice feature to have and let vendors save on shipping cost.

I noticed this post was initiated in 2018, and as such wondering if Ship station did come out  with any options yet or not, please let us know!!

Regards.

tylerdouglas
New Contributor

If you're all still looking for a solution for this you could try www.meetstring.com. It integrates with ShipStation to auto-select the best rate for all of your orders,