cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation Rules based on line items in orders

trisha-e2e
Occasional Contributor

I am looking to create automation rules for orders that contain particular product SKU's and quantities but currently the automation rules only apply to the order as a whole. Example, when a new customer orders a product they automatically get a promo SKU added to their order. I essentially want that SKU ignored and only focus on the product SKU that has been ordered but the automation rules will look at all line items in an order and not allow the ability to focus on specific line items. Do you have a work around or is this something that is being developed/worked on? thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

CaraAdmin
Khoros

Hello @trisha-e2e!

Thank you for posting in the community. I chatted with support, and they seemed to think the best option would be to set up product tags so that tags are automatically applied to orders when they import with a particular product. You can then create reliable automation rules based on those tags. I have attached a help center article on the automation rules as well. 

If you need any assistance you can reach out to support@shipstation.com

Happy Shipping! 

-Cara

trisha-e2e
Occasional Contributor

Can you explain this further please? Even if specific products have product tags, it would still be looking at products as line items. Wouldn't I still have the same issue? please provide an example if you can. Thank you.

Hello @trisha-e2e!

Thank you for reaching out again! While I am not in support, I have more information for you that support supplied me. 

We recommend basing automation on product tags over individual line items because ShipStation’s product defaults and automation rules work differently. ShipStation can apply tags to orders automatically on a product default level when a product is on order—it can even do this when multiple items are on order, adding multiple tags. 

However, automation rules function differently, and due to limitations, they cannot parse multiple SKUs/item names when running. When this is set up correctly, the automation rules will not run based on the line items—they will run off the order tags that are applied based on the product defaults.

I recommend contacting support so they can help you set this up and walk you through it. 

Happy Shipping!

-Cara

trisha-e2e
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Cara!