cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anatomie
New Contributor

There are two interlinked issues on ShipStation. The first is that the customs invoice isn't showing the prices in the local currency to the customer (i.e. the currency they paid in). The second is that there's no way to automatically determine if an order is within the IOSS threshold (150 EUR).

It is always recommended to provide the customs invoices in the currency the customer has paid in. This is to speed up customs clearance, but also gives more reliability in terms of how much the customer will pay at the border. This is even more important with the EU's IOSS scene where there's a 150 EUR threshold.

For example, consider the following scenario. You sell a product at 149 EUR on your website from the UK, and charge German VAT at 19% (so the customer pays 149+28.31 = 177.31 EUR). Because the intrinsic value is under 150 EUR I can use my IOSS number on this order. The problems are 1. I have no way in ShipStation to automatically add my IOSS number to these orders (there's no price-without-tax and there's no currency conversion), and 2. since the customs documents are in GBP (not EUR) if the exchange rate changes between the time of order and the time when the order arrives at EU customs there is a risk of my parcel being above the threshold, which means the customer will be double-charged VAT.

Solution:

• Do the customs invoices in the local currency, where possible.
  • Make is possible to automate the process of adding the IOSS number to an order.
1 Comment
Rostislav
First-timer

Very interesting observation, though it needs to be commented on: 

1. I doubt that shipstation should in any practical way be responcible for identifying/calculating the 150 EUR  sales threshold. It should come from the sales software.

2. Technically , one has to use the exchange rate at the momoent of the sale , but the initial contributor is correct that the customs may (and they often do) mishandle the excahnge rate issue. And the EU customs do recomend to identify the merchandise value in EU while filing H7 declaration (simplified declaration for LVC). But at the end of the day it is the declaration type (H7) and valid IOSS will define how the customs process goes and most customs do not check/redo the calcaultations for the threshold , but some do. But it all depends on who and how and in which EU country the customs clearence will be done