BUG - state required for countries that don't have states

RobC
Contributor

Pretty obvious bug

8 REPLIES 8

CaraAdmin
Khoros

Hello RobC!

Thank you for your post. I looked into this for you and didn't think it would be a bug. If the state field is a requirement for a shipment, it would be the carrier, not ShipStation, that requires this. I can understand how confusing it can be if the country doesn't have a state. I would contact support@shipstation.com and give them the list of countries you have issues with. 

Happy Shipping!

-Cara

Hi Cara,

Thanks for the response. I did email shipstation support but they don't seem to understand the issue.

It's not a carrier specific problem. Shipstation itself requires a state be entered for all shipments. You can't get past the address entry screen without entering a state regardless of whether or not you have a carrier selected.  USPS and UPS do not require states for countries that do not have them.

Hello RobC!

Thank you for the reply! I reached out to support and got someone who will contact you to get this figured out. If this is not a bug, then we will be able to log it as a feature request!

Thank you and happy shipping!

-Cara

It's a common bug we encounter frequently. For instance, Singapore is a country that doesn't have states.

RobC
Contributor

Yeah many countries don't.  Are your orders imported via the API from another system?  I don't use Shopify myself, but I see that Shopify's shopping cart doesn't even have a state field for countries that do not have states, so I'm curious how those orders would be imported into Shipstation & what happens when you do an edit in Shopify before shipping.  I believe an order can be created via the API without the state field, but it seems that an UPDATE via the API fails without a state.  So in our case, our orders are created correctly but when we make an API call from our order processing system to set the package weight, dimensions, etc it fails without a state.  

The response I received from shipstation support today was that this isn't a bug and that it's a carrier requirement, which doesn't make any sense at all. It simply is not a carrier requirement.  FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc do not require you to enter address information that doesn't exist 🙂

RobC
Contributor

Hi Cy,

I'm going in circles trying to explain this issue to Shipstation support.  They keep telling me that all countries use state/province/or the equivalent in their shipping addresses. They've referred me to an ISO website to look up prefectures, zones, counties, etc for counties that simply do not use this information in their shipping addresses.

Are you using an ecommerce platform like shopify?

I've checked websites using 4 different ecommerce platforms, including Shopify and Big Commerce and none of them actually collect state/province for countries that do not use them (Singapore, Israel, Luxembourg and others).

The odd thing is that the Shipstation API will allow for creation of the order without this information, so it doesn't reject orders coming from shopify/etc but if you try to edit the address it will prevent you from doing so without entering a state. Likewise, if you update the order via the API (which our order processing system does to set the dimensions and weight), the API call will fail without this information.  It does not allow a null value or a space.  Our workaround is entering a period for the state field.

It's just maddening the number of times I've gone back and forth with support to explain why this makes no sense. 

Hello, @RobC!

Thank you for your post! Based on insights from our developers and support team, the required fields we receive come directly from the selected carrier. As a workaround, for countries that don’t have a city, you can simply enter "0" in that empty field if no state is required. 

If you run into any issues please feel free to reach out to support@shipstation.com.

Happy Shipping!

-Cara

Let’s say for the sake of argument that USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL, Israel Post, the International Postal Union, and major shopping cart platforms are wrong and your developers and support team are correct.

You DO allow for creation and shipment in these countries without a state, but an edit from the shipstation.com UI requires it and an API update FAILS without state.

How does this make any sense?

I wish you guys would log this as a bug.  I'm sure not all of your customers have control of external systems that interface with your API to perform updates on an order prior to shipment.