cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Weights

Sleestaq
Occasional Contributor

I have a number of products. Each one has a SKU. I have created product entries for them and given each a weight. So to this point, everything is good. Coins weight 1.8oz. Pins weight 0.2oz. So given an order with some coins and pins, ShipStation knows what they weigh.

Here's where it fails - the envelope, label and such weigh 0.4oz. This needs to be added to the final weight, but there's no way to do that other than changing the weight by hand for each order. This makes knowing the weight of the items somewhat worthless.

I'd use automation and simply increase the weight by 0.4oz, but this is also not usable, as the packaging type changes. Coin order of two or fewer go out in a letter. Three or more go out in a large flat. Those weights are different.

So what's really needed is a way to say "for any order, if the package is a letter, add 0.4oz. If it's a large flat, add 0.7oz." And so on.

See the need?

3 REPLIES 3

Sleestaq
Occasional Contributor

Additionally, automation can't be used here because SKU filtering is logically broken.

That is, if I put in "SKU contains COIN" this will give me any order with a coin in it. There's no way to specify quantity of coins, because the order may contain other SKUs, and quantity is an aggregate. So I can only do this for orders that have SKU containing coin and also #lineitems being 1. Not very useful.

Also, I have a rule that says if the customer ordered a particular tall pin, the package type MUST be a package. If I use a rule for SKU contains TALLPIN, I can set the package type, but then another rule like the one above will reset it if there's a coin. Using the "stop processing" rule won't fix it, because first, there are other non-conflicting rules that need to be run and second, there's no way to order the rules to create a logic flow.

You guys REALLY need AND/OR logic in your search code. These limitations of "this only works if this is the one and only product in the order" is... well, come on, not useful at all.

(PS: Yes, my day job is as a software architect.)

Sleestaq
Occasional Contributor

Anyone?

Sleestaq
Occasional Contributor

Still awaiting a response. Come on, guys, you want happy customers? Give a little customer service.