cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Products import not working

heathert73
Contributor

I need to change the name of all 2700+ items I have in shipstation.  I have exported the items, made the changes in the csv file and saved the file.  When I try to import the file, I do receive the "product import complete" notice but none of the changes to the item names have been made.  In addition, I want to use the Description field in the products attributes area.  What field on the import template do I populate to add text to the Description field?

3 REPLIES 3

SuperMgr-Sarah
Employee
Employee

Hello and thanks for posting to the community!

As long as you have your product settings set to uniquely identify by SKU, then the CSV import should update your product names. Identifying products by SKU is the default, so unless you changed that setting the import should work. 

Here is the setting in the Store settings. 

SuperMgr-Sarah_0-1620917625061.png

It's also an option when you upload your CSV file (there is also a setting in the CSV import pop-up that let's you decide whether to update existing products or not, but again, it is set for this by default): 

SuperMgr-Sarah_1-1620917704650.png

One last thing I can suggest is that once you see the "Import successful" message, refresh your browser window. If your product names are still not updated in the list, I would recommend contacting support so they can review the CSV file and do some testing with you.

As for the Description field in the product Attributes - that is currently not a field available for product CSV imports.

I hope this helps!

Sarah H.
Austin, Tx

Why isn't description an importable field?  As one of the fields that is possible to print on the Packing Slip Template I would love to be able to use this to convey line item information to my customers.  Currently I have 1600 products to add and doing this manually is a huge investment in time.

RBspice_0-1634332193024.png

Hi @RBspice , 

Thank you for your comment and for being a part of our community. We are so happy to have you here with us. I completely see how being able to import product descriptions would be a huge efficiency boost for all of our users. 

I did some digging around and can confirm that this is something that our product team is looking into and reviewing. There is not currently a firm timeline on anything but as always we will make sure to keep everyone informed as updates occur. 

-Erin: Your Friendly ShipStation Community Manager