cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking or Scanning for First Clase Mail Envelopes.

SKParadigm
First-timer

Hi, I can't seem to find it any where on here, but I know USPS does not offer tracking for First Class Envelopes, but I was wondering if there is a "scan bar" that they scan at destinations.  For instance I currently use Orange Mailer that scans my first class envelopes once it reaches the last destination Post office before it's final destination. This way, in the case that my customer has not received their order, even though I can't track it for them I can tell them where it was last scanned.  This has been the only proof I've had to show that it has been mailed.  I sell mostly decals on Etsy so  paying for Priority to get the free tracking is not cost effective for most of my items.  I can't seem to find another service that offers this, but I can't hook my Etsy account to Orange Mailer and have to individually type in each address, which poses a problem if I make a mistake.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

SuperMgr-Sarah
Employee
Employee

Hello!

Thanks for posting this question on our community!

From what I can find, adding delivery confirmation is the only way to add tracking to your first class service shipments. But,  you cannot add a delivery confirmation to First Class Letters or First Class Large Envelope/flats. That combination of service and package type won't allow it.

If you want tracking, you have to use a service and package combination that USPS allows it with. Thick envelope is likely the closest to what you are actually shipping that will allow you to add the Delivery confirmation option to the shipment. Try setting your service to USPS First Class and the package type in ShipStation to Thick Envelope. Set the Confirmation drop-down to Delivery. You should be able to make the label successfully then.

SuperMgr-Sarah_0-1618277975631.png

Hope this was helpful!

Sarah H.
Austin, Tx

AndrewHorse
New Contributor

Just typed a whole long response to this only to get an error message  blah blah blah cannot post. KNEW i should have clicked copy b4 send.

An Unexpected Error has occurred.
  •  
  • Your request failed. Please contact your system administrator and provide the date and time you received the error and this Exception ID: 37FF74E2.

Click your browser's Back button to continue

So ebay has a service like this and the envelopes print exactly the same.  Wondering why it won't work on SS?

Here is the tracking from the ebay label. 

eBay Delivery Services tracking #ESUS53955046

Weird, the ebay label doesn't track on USPS, but someone tracked during its route

eb-tack.jpeg