03-09-2023 07:34 PM - edited 03-09-2023 07:35 PM
Is anyone else still using V2 having an issue shipping UPS Worldwide?
Since Monday I am getting the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." when trying to ship an order to an address that I have shipped to many times in the past.
I have manually recreated the order, refreshed carriers, etc etc.
We were rolled back to V2 last year because so many features were not working properly in V3 that we depend on daily. Upgrading to V3 is not an option.
03-10-2023 07:32 AM
Hey there @pedalpcb,
Thanks for posting here in the community. For technical issues including running into an error message, I would recommend reaching out directly to our support team if you haven't done so yet. This can be done via chat widget or email! We will be happy to check into this directly with you in your account.
03-10-2023 07:48 AM
Thank you! I did reach out to support last night but it was after hours and they were unable to assist.
Obviously I can contact support today and they can create the label for me as they did with another order this week, but ultimately we need to be able to ship Expedited shipments immediately rather than have to delay shipping by contacting support each time.
Unfortunately switching to V3 isn't an option because we still don't have the proper ability to restore an order to Awaiting Shipment status (the current option isn't suitable for International shipments since the packing slip and customs forms are blank) and we have to reship lost orders quite frequently.
My post here wasn't so much to find a resolution from the community, but just checking to see if we were the only ones affected by this issue. We've tried multiple computers with various operating systems and web browsers, so I suspect we are not the only ones affected, but I realize there is probably a small percentage of users still running the older V2 interface.