cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ExceptionMessage":"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" when creating order

stickerNinja
First-timer

Hey there, I am extremely new to using APIs and I'm wondering if someone could provide me hints as to why I'm getting this error. Am I formatting something wrong? I will post my code as well as the error below. Thanks so much for your help!

Code: 

let orderBody={
    "orderNumber":"2507",
"orderDate":"2021-08-24T23:33:59.000Z",
 "orderStatus": "awaiting_shipment",
 "billTo": {
    "name": "The President",
    "company": null,
    "street1": null,
    "street2": null,
    "street3": null,
    "city": null,
    "state": null,
    "postalCode": null,
    "country": null,
    "phone": null,
    "residential": null
  },
"shipTo": {
    "name": "The President",
    "company": "US Govt",
    "street1": "1600 Pennsylvania Ave",
    "street2": "Oval Office",
    "street3": null,
    "city": "Washington",
    "state": "DC",
    "postalCode": "20500",
    "country": "US",
    "phone": "555-555-5555",
    "residential": true
  }
}

let response = await fetch('https://ssapi.shipstation.com/orders/createorder',
     {method: 'POST', 
     headers: {"Content-type": "application/json",
     Authorization:"*my authorization*"},
     body: JSON.stringify(orderBody)}

);
console.log(await response.text());

Error:

"{"Message":"An error has occurred.","ExceptionMessage":"Object reference not set to an instance of an object.","ExceptionType":"System.NullReferenceException","StackTrace":" at SS.OpenApi.Controllers.OrdersController._CreateOrder(Order apiOrder, Guid ImportBatch, Boolean throwDuplicateException) in D:\\buildAgentFull\\work\\8e15a453e647e65a\\SS.OpenApi\\Controllers\\OrdersController.cs:line 1400\r\n at SS.OpenApi.Controllers.OrdersController.CreateOrder(Order apiOrder) in D:\\buildAgentFull\\work\\8e15a453e647e65a\\SS.OpenApi\\Controllers\\OrdersController.cs:line 982\r\n at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )\r\n at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.<GetExecutor>b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)\r\n at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)\r\n at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)\r\n at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<CallOnActionExecutedAsync>d__5.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<CallOnActionExecutedAsync>d__5.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)\r\n at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<ExecuteActionFilterAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)\r\n at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)\r\n at System.Web.Http.Filters.AuthorizationFilterAttribute.<ExecuteAuthorizationFilterAsyncCore>d__2.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)\r\n at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__0.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__0.MoveNext()\r\n--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---\r\n at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()\r\n at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)\r\n at System.Web.Http.Dispatcher.HttpControllerDispatcher.<SendAsync>d__1.MoveNext()"}"

2 REPLIES 2

SystemsLogic
First-timer

I have the same error message. Did you resolve this and if so, what was the resolution?

BradB
New Contributor

Not sure if you ever figured this out, but for us, it happened when we did not have a Manual Store setup. 

From โ€‹https://www.shipstation.com/docs/api/models/advanced-options/
ID of store that is associated with the order. If not specified in the CreateOrder call either to create or update an order, ShipStation will default to the first manual store on the account. Can only be specified during order creation.