cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name required for both Name AND Business?

forceshock
Occasional Contributor

Over the past couple weeks or so I see that info. is required for both the return address "name" and "business." Why is that and is it a bug? I've got the same info. listed in both areas just so that I can print, but it looks ridiculous. Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Manager-Erin
Alumni
Alumni

Hello @forceshock

Thank you for being a part of our community and for reaching out. We would be happy to look into this. What carrier are you using when you get that message? 

-Erin: Your Friendly Neighborhood ShipStation Community Manager 

forceshock
Occasional Contributor

It's simply within the "Ship From Location" tab, no particular carrier. The interface requires that you fill in the box with your full name AND business. It should simply be either or, not both. 

Hello @forceshock

Thanks for getting back to me and for your patience while I investigated this internally. I found out that this is not a bug but that was implemented to ship from locations since many carriers require both fields and will error out if the company name and the full name are not filled out.

-Erin: Your Friendly Neighborhood ShipStation Community Manager 

forceshock
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the reply, but I guess my question would be, what business adds in a random personal name as well? And what does a person do that doesn’t have a business name? 

Just think for a second about any boxes that you personally receive. It’s either or correct? I receive boxes all the time and don’t see the same information doubled up just to fill both fields and I don’t see personal names along with business names. 

It seems like it’s more of a ShipStation thing then then an actual requirement by the carriers, because again I’m not seeing this on anything else. 

The “business” field should defiantly be listed as “optional.”

I'm also wondering the answer to this! I definitely don't want my personal name on the return address. It should just be the business name.

giba24
Occasional Contributor

I agree with @forceshock. It looks ridiculous, and it really should be either or. I am a business owner shipping with ShipStation frequently and I do not want my personal information anywhere on the label. It simply doesn't make any sense. You're either receiving a package from a company or a person. Not both.

info793
First-timer

Has this ever been fixed in the back of the system and can be updated? We do not like having our company name print twice. No other packages we receive from small businesses have that. I wonder who they use for shipping? 

I don’t think this has been addressed I addressed. I been fighting this all day, cancelled 4 labels 

giba24
Occasional Contributor

For anyone still dealing with this, the workaround I have been using is to simply enter a hyphen into the 'business name' field, and then use my business name in the 'ship from name' field. It's not perfect but it looks good enough on the label. 

orders106
New Contributor

Yes, doubling the business name is silly. Doing a hyphen in it does not work all the time as Shipstation errors when you try to ship international or FPO/APO. Stating "Ship From Name must contain at least two words. Each word must be at least two characters long, separated by a space."

giba24
Occasional Contributor

Yes I tried it this way too, but then I discovered that if I put my business name in the ship from name field, then put a hyphen in the business name field, I haven't had any issues, not even with my international shipments. This has worked for me, of course YMMV.

Market411
New Contributor

Just joining the discussion. Had to add a new ship from address and ran in to this full name and company name required. There needs to be a workaround for this other then a hyphen. Shipstation needs to find a better option.