We haven't been getting the pop-up for accepting the new terms & conditions. We were waiting to iron out a few details before we do so. We haven't been able to until today, and we'd like to start using Buy Shipping. We cannot reconfigure our store again through Amazon due to internal issues and hope not to. Any help?
Solved! Go to Solution.
I just finished spending an hour with your support team to get this information. This issue significantly impacted our operations this morning. In the future, please try to send out this type of guidance before it becomes a crisis for your users. You guys are starting to make me a little nervous.