cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create an Endpoint URL

JohnN
New Contributor

Greetings experts!

I'm brand new to api's and that jaz so I'm trying to find a resource to create an Endpoint URL.  We are using Zendesk as our new Customer Service platform and I want customers to be able to look up their ShipStation order via a bot.

Zendesk needs a GET Endpoint url for our account.  ShipStations document is confusing and not very clear how to build it step-by-step.  It assumes we are developers, which I am not.

Can somebody help me go through the steps of figuring out how to build this?  I'm including a screenshot from Zendesk.  Thanks for any help.

John

4 REPLIES 4

Harsh
New Contributor

Hi John,

You would need to use the Shipstaion API to retrieve your Orders data programmatically.

Most likely  Zendesk will be wanting the Endpoint URL to return the data in a particular format.

As such you would need to develop an intermediate program which exposes an Endpoint URL which Zendesk would connect to.
Then you would need your program to parse out Zendesk's request and have your program connect to your Shipstation account programmatically via the Shipstation API to retrieve the relevant order data.

Your program would then format the retrieved order data in the format Zendesk is wanting and return it back to Zendesk.

Please let me know if you need any further clarifications.

Harsh

So, you're saying there is no possible way a person who isn't a developer to ever figure out how to do this? I am also trying to Build a custom store on shipstation. All directions I get are beyond my knowledge. I literally need steps like this: Step 1: Go to this page, find these words, copy this, paste this here, then go to this page and highlight this, go down 3 lines and paste it here, etc. Like very detailed. Is this not possible? I'm not trying to be rude, just need specific details if it can be done by a regular person. If not, I need to know so I don't waste time trying to figure it out.                         Here's the directions given to me: 

Authentication: ShipStation uses Basic HTTP Authentication when calling your Web Endpoint. You will need to use a Basic Authentication Header to pass the credentials.

Build Your Web Endpoint: ShipStation requires access to your cart or marketplace through a Web Endpoint that returns XML according to the specified format. This endpoint handles two major requests: GET and POST.

GET Call: ShipStation makes a GET API call to pull order information from your connected store. Your Web Endpoint should render XML that adheres to the provided specification.

POST Call: The POST call allows ShipStation to post shipment information back to your cart or marketplace when an order is shipped. Your Web Endpoint should be able to determine when ShipStation is requesting order information (action = export) and when it is sending a shipping notification (action = shipnotify).

For detailed instructions and XML format examples, please refer to our Custom Store Development Guide here.

Hey HollowBranch,

Custom Stores are custom meaning no simple copy paste procedure because it all depends on your setup and your requirements.  The instructions you posted are exactly what you need to do to get a custom store going.  Build your web endpoint means setup a server or a service that will allow a get call to come in to get your orders and allow a post call to come in to give you your shipping information.  These are the basics of HTTP requests on a server.

If shipstation has a store connection already available for the system you are trying to connect then you can use that and follow the instructions.

My suggestion for a no code solution would be to create a manual store.  Go to Settings -> Selling Channels -> Store Setup --- Click Connect a store --- search shipstation --- click shipstation store.  This creates a separate manual store and you can upload orders using a file that you can then manage.  Obviously this is more manual but you wont need to be a developer to get it going.

I have put a custom store in for ourself and would say yes you need to understand http calls, xml, and data manipulation on a server.  This also means you need to setup your own server or use a service like Heroku or AWS but still need to code what you want to do.  There is a possibility you could use Zappier for the connections which is more of a point and click but I have not done it myself.

DND4Life
Contributor

This can be done through any number of 3rd party integrators @HollowBranch @JohnN