cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Order tags to packing slip

Ryan_B_McLabs
Occasional Contributor

I am looking to add a field on the packing slip that displays the order tags. We use order tags for a variety of things but most importantly we use them to notate whether or not a shipment is hazmat. We have the automation rules that tags orders with hazmat products but we want to have the tags display on the packing slip itself. Has anyone had any luck with this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SuperMgr-Sarah
Employee
Employee

Hi Ryan, 

Thanks for posting this request. There is not currently a way to print tags on packing slips (though I like this idea!). But I might have a solution for you. 

If the tags in question are added to the order at import (either by automation rule or because you've tagged the product record in ShipStation), you can create an automation rule that will add some text to a notes or custom field on the order. You can then update your packing slip to include those notes by adding the corresponding field replacement to the packing slip code. 

For example, create an automation rule that says when any order with the Hazmat tag imports into ShipStation, add the text "Hazmat Item" to the internal notes field. 

SuperMgr-Sarah_0-1620403149183.png

You can then update your packing slip template to include the [Internal Notes] field replacement wherever you want this information to appear on the packing slip.

Review our help articles on creating automation rules and customizing your packing slip for more details if you are unfamiliar with either process:

Let us know if you have more questions about this.

Sarah H.
Austin, Tx

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SuperMgr-Sarah
Employee
Employee

Hi Ryan, 

Thanks for posting this request. There is not currently a way to print tags on packing slips (though I like this idea!). But I might have a solution for you. 

If the tags in question are added to the order at import (either by automation rule or because you've tagged the product record in ShipStation), you can create an automation rule that will add some text to a notes or custom field on the order. You can then update your packing slip to include those notes by adding the corresponding field replacement to the packing slip code. 

For example, create an automation rule that says when any order with the Hazmat tag imports into ShipStation, add the text "Hazmat Item" to the internal notes field. 

SuperMgr-Sarah_0-1620403149183.png

You can then update your packing slip template to include the [Internal Notes] field replacement wherever you want this information to appear on the packing slip.

Review our help articles on creating automation rules and customizing your packing slip for more details if you are unfamiliar with either process:

Let us know if you have more questions about this.

Sarah H.
Austin, Tx

SpencerW
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sarah,

Is the ability to add tags to pack slip templates in the pipeline? This is something we really need.

I could imagine a number of issues arising from the solution you suggested. For instance, what if the internal note field is already populated, will it be overwritten by the automation rule? And what if an order has multiple tags, will they be appended to each other or overwrite each other? 

SpencerW
Occasional Contributor

Done a bit more testing and there may also be a problem with split-shipments. Product tags do split along with the shipments, but order custom fields do not. 

Spencer - does it indeed overwrite the Internal Notes? I am hoping to add tags to hundreds of orders with internal notes already.

Internal notes will not be overwritten by the automation rules if you use the action "Add internal note" - the only ones that overwrite are the ones that are worded "Set" instead of "Add" i.e "Set Custom Field 1..."

JohnLecole
Contributor

The issue with the automation rules is that if the order is already printed and a user adds a tag, the automation rule will not automatically run, the rules will need to be run manually. This is an issue when working in a team, where one user is printing and another may be contacting customers and adding tags/changes to orders that need to be made.

Needs to be a way to print tags directly on the packing slip via the templates, either concat them to a list that can be printed and/or allow a user to select which tags in the array to print i.e [orderTags], [orderTags[0]],  [orderTags[1]]... etc.