cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS to Japan postal code bug

SandwichTech
New Contributor

UPS throws a postal code error when trying to purchased a label to Japan, asking for a 0 to 5 character postal code.  Japan has a 7 digit postal code.  The address was verified by ShipStation and Melissa Lookups.  ShipStation support said there is a complicated work around that requires senior support (they are making the label for me currently).  It was suggested that I post the problem here in hopes to have it solved in a feature update.  Seems like a pretty big problem - you can't buy UPS labels to Japan !?!?

3 REPLIES 3

Manager-Erin
Alumni
Alumni

Hello @SandwichTech

Thanks for being a part of our community and for reaching out.  You should be able to resolve this by changing the state code instead of the zip code. Hopefully this helps you out. 

-Erin: Your Friendly Neighborhood ShipStation Community Manager 

Erin, thank you for the response.  Ultimately, Nagano was changed to NNG and the label went through.  I have not been able to find a table that shows NNG and other state codes.  I found a table that says Nagano would be OU, which I had tried early on (and failed).  Shipstation support gave me a link to a table of prefectural codes, not state codes.  I did find one table of state codes from GMAC, but it lists Nagano as NGN, not NNG.  

Hello @SandwichTech

Thanks for getting back to me about this. This is not an official ShipStation endorsed resource but I was able to find a table from the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe that lists the trade and transport location codes. 

https://service.unece.org/trade/locode/jp.htm

Hopefully this helps you out in the future. 

-Erin: Your Friendly Neighborhood ShipStation Community Manager