cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
admin43
First-timer (legacy)
http://imgur.com/RvPG99z I found the print drop down options did not do what I expected. The option for labels prints both the label and packing slips. The packing slip option just prints packing slips. What do you think about it being: --Labels (just labels) --Packing Slips (just slips) --Both (both)
49 Comments
Bobby_M
Contributor
Don't forget the cost of toner. Since most of our orders are worth $50+, I'm not very concerned about a penny here or there though. I think it's a great idea to have simultaneous label and packing list print out with one command with the option of using two different printers. The original proposal isn't very clear on that so I'd hope the admins could fix that up. It would prevent the staff and other users from assuming it was already a feature (just like I did).
shipping256
First-timer (legacy)
ooo .008? where from, Aaron
janitorialplumb
New Contributor
Yes you are correct, but it is still worth it. We deal in low-priced items in large quantities, so price matters alot. I was able to get LP-2844 labels ( I ordered a batch of 4000 ) from a seller on ebay. I checked on other sites, they were around the same price after factoring in shipping. There is a company that makes labels and plain sheets on the same page, but after shipping costs, it is not worth it.
sales502
First-timer (legacy)
I moved over here from ShipWorks where the packing slip and shipping label can both be printed simultaneously (shipping label via thermal 6x4, packing slip via normal printer). When I switched to ShipStation, I set things up so the shipping label and the packing slip both print on the thermal printer. It's saved a lot of hassle not having to match up packing slips with labels. It also solves the issue of having to print the label and slip separately in ShipStation.
sam17
First-timer (legacy)
Hey Robert, sorry it's been a bit before checking back. We keep the hard copies of the packing slips with all the warehouse markings on it as a check if a customer calls to say they were missing an item. It's our "Step 1" of determining if we potentially made a mistake. If all the items are checked off then it should have been in the box. The second step is to look at the product weight. Most of the time, there is no mark next to the product and we have to go put an employee in time out for awhile lol. Anyway, I was a ShipWorks convert but like 8PA below we now just print the second packing slip with the label on the thermal. Much easier, less folding and a lot better for us. I'm still working on the batch though lol. Thanks for all your help and the help of the community!!!
Bobby_M
Contributor
I found another situation that supports the need for more control over packing slip printing. I don't know how many other users would be affected by this but chime in and let everyone know. Since packing slip printing yes/no is setup in the backend printing preferences screen, it's one of those things that is not easily changed on a per order basis. In most cases, 95% of the time, we leave inline packing list printing turned on in the printing setup. However, since we have to print two different shipping labels for a lot of USPS, we turn off the packing lists for the second shipment because we don't need to waste 3-5 labels for duplicate packing lists. If we make the mistake of kicking off a "batch" of like 60 labels without making sure the packing lists were turned back on, there is no way that I can see to have the packing lists put back inline with the shipping labels. It's REALLY frustrating having to match up 60 labels with 60 packing slips. This is another reason why I feel it's important to have a little more control of packing lists during an order followup shipment. It already warns "this order has already been shipped" so it would be pretty easy to also ask, do you want to print a duplicate packing list for this? That way you could suppress the packing list on a one-off basis without having to go into printing preferences and messing up the 95% usage. The hardest part about feature requests is that you never know if it falls into an existing feature request or if a new one should be created.
brian_gholston
First-timer (legacy)
Add an option to print your full size packing slip at the same time as the thermal shipping label is printed.
janitorialplumb
New Contributor
Well we print the packing slips on the 8.5x11 and the shipping labels on the 4x6, but we have to remember to print the slips and labels separately. If the shipper forgets to push the button, then we have a bunch of labels or packing slips without their counterpart. Then we have to go back and search for it all. That can turn out to be a real pain.
janitorialplumb
New Contributor
Also, if I ship just one order at a time, the order grays out or disappears from view in the order details pane, and it can get pretty complicated to print out the packing slip. Thanks!
Bobby_M
Contributor
I'm not actively endorsing this request any longer because our current process does not benefit. We are using the batch process for up to 50 orders at a time. We run the batch, click print labels (they come out of our thermal label printer), then click Packing Slips which come out of a laser printer. Sure, it's two clicks but it's not a problem when you are batching that many orders at once. For anyone that has not tried using the batch process, check it out. It takes a lot of the redundant monotony out of printing one order at a time.